Incorrect web routing

peterh

Is this forum newbie, novice friendly?  I guess I'll find out  :)

My website runs on Apache and the www.#######.com points to a different page than ########.com.  The page at www.########.com is the page I want both to point to. ... I can SSH into the terminal, how can I make the fix? 

Peter

Does www.####.com resolve to the same IP address as ####.com?

If not then you need to update your DNS records for www to point to the same IP that ####.com resovles to.

If they are the same, it could be in the apache config (I would assume).

Do a simple test and ping www.####.com and ####.com and see if they are the same.

I would assume not.

Typically, if you own domain ####.com, then ####.com has a DNS record with some DNS server on the public internet. You would usually then have a DNS server on that domain, requests for ####.com or X.####.com would goto the domains DNS server and resolve accordingly.

For example: your web browser tries to resolve http://xyz.abc.com, it checks its local DNS cache and returns nothing, so it goes to its DNS server, that DNS doesn't know anything so it goes to the ISP's DNS server, that DNS server doesn't know anything about xyz.abc.com but it does know about abc.com so it forwards it to abc.com's DNS server, abc.com's DNS server then resolve xyz.abc.com to an IP address that it has in its DNS records.

Now, if your webserver has two IPs associated with it, and those IPs happen to be what is returned by resolving www.####.com and ####.com then it is an issue with Apache.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.