Does @font-face load ALL fonts in ONE browser

neuroxik

Hey everyone,

I've been starting to use @font-face in the last year or so seeing that most major browsers support it now. I usually just use 1-3 fonts max, but most often I include the italics version, bold and italic bold version, which can easily amount to a couple MBs of data minimum (depending on the font). Since I use EOT, TTF, WOFF and SVG to work in most browsers, the filesize augments. I don't want too much bandwidth (and load time) used, especially when it's not absolutely necessary upon the customer's request, so I was wondering : say if Firefox (or any browser) successfully loads the EOT version of the file, will that browser still download all 3 others or it will specifically ignore the rest? If it does ignore the rest (not download them) then bandwidth would be much less of an issue.

I know some of you might say "well, bandwidth nowadays...", but I still prefer to keep things minimal by habit.

Edited by neuroxik

Most of the browsers will download the font even if its not used. It might be best if you take off the ones that are not used for speed purposes.

Thanks! I was hoping this was not the case but now atleast I know. I was going to check my browser cache to see but then again, doesn't mean it's not cached that it hasn't been downloaded.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.