Inserting Dates

justlukeyou

I am using the jQuery code to insert a US format date format into a table.

However I have two frustrating problems. Firstly I can only insert the value as text so I cant use it to calcualte with. I have tried the five date and time values in MyAdmin but each time I run the jQuery code it inserts the value as zeroes.

$startdate = $row['eventstart'];
$enddate = $row['eventend'];

$numberofdays = $startdate - $enddate;
I also found this but it states that the date format is english but the jQuery datepicker is in an American format.

Any suggestions please on what I need to insert a date format instead of text. From there I should be able to calculate the number of days.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.strtotime.php

echo $numberofdays;		 
$days = (strtotime($$startdate) - strtotime($enddate)) / (60 * 60 * 24);
print $days;

http://jqueryui.com/datepicker/

When storing dates in a database always use yyyy-mm-dd format (type DATE, or if times are required as well, DATETIME or TIMESTAMP).

In this format dates can be compared and sorted and you can use the dozens of datetime function the MySQL provides.

Any other format is as much use as a chocolate teapot. Store dates for functionality, not prettiness.

Thanks,

However the jQuery does insert the date into the table when I set the column value as DATE.

When I set the cell as TEXT it will insert the date, but not when I select DATE.

When I insert the value when the table is set at DATE it only inserts 0000-00-00 into the table.

If I manually enter the dates into DATE I can get the calculation to work which I am really please about. However I cant get the jQuery to insert a value into DATE.

<?php
$startdate = $row['eventstart'];
$enddate = $row['eventend'];

$days = (strtotime($enddate) - strtotime($startdate)) / (60 * 60 * 24);
print $days;

?>

You need to set the date format in jQuery's datepicker.

dateFormatType: String
Default: "mm/dd/yy"
The format for parsed and displayed dates. For a full list of the possible formats see the formatDate function.

Code examples:

Initialize the datepicker with the dateFormat option specified:

$( ".selector" ).datepicker({ dateFormat: "yy-mm-dd" });

Get or set the dateFormat option, after initialization:

// getter
var dateFormat = $( ".selector" ).datepicker( "option", "dateFormat" );

// setter
$( ".selector" ).datepicker( "option", "dateFormat", "yy-mm-dd" );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.