CSS & Java Script Menu Functions

mrswenner

Background: using CSS and Java Script to make a menu function on Hover (CSS) and onClick (Java). Originally the menu just used the hover functionality, but then it was requested that the code be more SmartPhone/iPad happy. Since it is my plan to later create mobile templates for this, I wanted to simply apply Java Script to appease the requestor.

Issue: what now works for the SmartPhone/iPad, causes funkiness with the screen version -- when a menu item is clicked, the submenu drops-down, but when the user hovers OFF the menu item, the submenu disappears; however the onclick event is not triggered, so when the user hovers back onto that menu item, the submenu reappears. The requestor feels that this would confuse the user because a submenu may be expected to appear on hover and since it does not, then the user may not think there is a submenu.

Expected Outcome: since this is a temporary fix, I would simply like to remove the hover action in the CSS, but whenever I do this nothing works. Please help!

Code - Java Script:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
function ToggleDisplay(id)
  {
    var elem = document.getElementById('d' + id);
    if (elem) 
    {
      if (elem.style.display != 'block') 
      {
        elem.style.display = 'block';
        elem.style.visibility = 'visible';
      } 
      else
      {
        elem.style.display = 'none';
        elem.style.visibility = 'hidden';
      }
    }
  }
//-->
</script>

Code - CSS:

.dropdown_1column, 
.dropdown_2columns {
margin: auto;
float:left;
position:absolute;
left:-999em; /* Hides the drop down */
text-align:left;
padding: 0;
/* Gradient background */
background-image: url("../images/z_menuBackground.png");
background-repeat: repeat;
background-position: 0% 0%;
VISIBILITY: hidden;
DISPLAY: none;
}
.dropdown_1column {width: 170px;}
.dropdown_2columns {width: 340px;}

#menu li:hover .dropdown_1column, 
#menu li:hover .dropdown_2columns {
left:0px;
top:auto;
padding: inherit;
}

Code - Menu Item:

<li class="menu" onclick="ToggleDisplay('1')"><a href="#" class="drop">Coming Events</a>
        <div class="dropdown_2columns" id="d1" onclick="ToggleDisplay('1')"><!-- SubMenu Item code follows -->

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.