Blank Page

JohnJ

I am attempting to set up a connection to a database via MySQLi. I recently entered invalid details to check whether or not the error reporting would work correctly; it didn't. It's simply showing me a blank page when I click "Sign In."

<?php

ini_set('display_errors', 1); error_reporting(~0);

$emailaddress = $_POST['emailaddress'];
$password = $_POST['password'];

if ($emailaddress&&$password)

{

$db = @new mysqli('loalhost','rot','','FitessHouse');

if($db->connect_errno) 

{
trigger_error('Unable to connect to database [' . $db->connect_error . ']', E_USER_ERROR);

}

}

?>

You would only get an error if both of the conditions were true. You can add some debugging lines to see which conditions are true/false.

Try this and see what is returned:

echo "DEBUG: check if $emailaddress or $password are false<br>\n";
if ($emailaddress && $password)
{
    echo "DEBUG: $emailaddress and $password are not false<br>\n";
    $db = @new mysqli('loalhost','rot','','FitessHouse');
    if($db->connect_errno)
    {
        trigger_error('Unable to connect to database [' . $db->connect_error . ']', E_USER_ERROR);
    }
    else
    {
        echo "DEBUG: DB connection completed<br>\n";
    }
}
Edited by Psycho

Would it be easier (or possible) to create a file dedicated to connecting to the database whenever needed? So that instead of coding this time and time again, I could just have it reference a MySQL connection file? Or is that possible?

Yes, that is the preferred way to do it. I typically create an application such that any page call will load a "bootstrap" file which will perform any common tasks. I would still have separate files for DB connection and other tasks, and then include those in the boostrap file.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.