very short code [ mysql_result to mysqli please help]

cripin

started learning php last week, at first didn't know anything about it so used mysql, now yesterday reading some article i saw that i should be using mysqli instead of mysql, so i changed all the code for my registration and login pages every works fine. However can't figure out the mysql_result to mysqli, couldn't find it on google too

the code:
the error im getting:
Warning: mysql_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, object given in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/index.php on line 12

<?php
require 'conect.php';

$user_ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

function update_count()
{ global $dbconnect;

$query = "SELECT count FROM hits_count";
if ($query_run = mysqli_query($dbconnect, $query))
{
$count = mysql_result($query_run, 0, 'count');
echo $count;
}
}
update_count();
?>

As an aside, do not use globals. Pass the connection to the function as a parameter. If you inadvertently assign a value to the global inside a function you could spend hours in a large script trying to find why the whole script is screwed.

function update_count($db)
{ 

$count = 0;
    if ($query_run = mysqli_query($db, $query))
    {
        list($count) = mysqli_fetch_row($query_run);
    }
    return $count;
}

$count = update_count($dbconnect);

As an aside, do not use globals. Pass the connection to the function as a parameter. If you inadvertently assign a value to the global inside a function you could spend hours in a large script trying to find why the whole script is screwed.

function update_count($db)
{ 

$count = 0;
    if ($query_run = mysqli_query($db, $query))
    {
        list($count) = mysqli_fetch_row($query_run);
    }
    return $count;
}

$count = update_count($dbconnect);

Can i include it inside the function parameter even if I already have a parameter inside it? the parameter is the name of another function. Basically can i have 2 paramaters in a function and if so should the connection one come before or after

Edited by cripin

so say if the function has 3 parameters and the one you wanna use is the 3rd one, would it calling the function look something like this: myfunction('','',$myparameter);       or       my function($myparameter) ;           or something else?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.