Collations

php_nub_qq

Hello. I have a rather serious question about collations. All of my fields in all tables are now in utf_bin collation. I recently figured out that I'm going to need case insensitivity in selects and the easiest way I can think of to achieve that is to alter all fields into utf_general_ci. My question is if there is a big difference between those two collations and if yes which is better?

Edited by php_nub_qq

Yes, there is a big difference. utf8_bin compares string in binary (as in byte-by-byte instead of character-by-character), so sorting may return weird results.

Since a and A both have different byte codes, one could say it is case sensitive. utf8_general_ci is case insensitive character-by-character comparison which is probably what you want.

More information here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-unicode-sets.html

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.