Small code - small problem - can't find it!

jbegreen
Go to solution Solved by DaveyK,

Hey :) Wondered if anyone could help me with this. I had this right a couple of days ago but for some reason it wasn't in my code yesterday and since rebuilding, has ceased to work.

I have a multi file upload that creates a directory as the name of the username variable ($username_entry).

When using this variable in the file path along with the variable for the name of the file ($name) the file path simply puts the variable text "$name" as some random blank file within the newly created directory.

Im sure it something pretty small that needs editing to use 2 variables in 1 path.

Anyway here's the code i need tweaking. Thanks to anyone that can help me :)

<?php

if (isset($_FILES['upload']) === true) {
$files = $_FILES['upload'];

for($x = 0; $x < count($files['name']); $x++) {
$name = $files['name'][$x];
$tmp_name = $files['tmp_name'][$x];

move_uploaded_file($tmp_name, 'user_images/'.$username_entry.'/ . $name');

}

?>

Its the move_uploaded_file($tmp_name, 'user_images/'.$username_entry.'/ . $name'); where i think the problem lies.......any takers?

Thanks. :)

• Solution

Try echoing the variables without actually moving the uploaded file. What do you get?

<?php

echo '<pre>' . print_r($_FILES, true) . '</pre>';

?>

Also, try something like this:

move_uploaded_file($tmp_name, "user_images/{$username_entry}/{$name}");
Edited by DaveyK

Array(    [upload] => Array        (            [name] => Array                (                    [0] => test.jpg                    [1] => facebook_cover_small copy.jpg                    [2] =>                     [3] =>                     [4] =>                 )            [type] => Array                (                    [0] => image/jpeg                    [1] => image/jpeg                    [2] =>                     [3] =>                     [4] =>                 )            [tmp_name] => Array                (                    [0] => C:\WINDOWS\Temp\php93B.tmp                    [1] => C:\WINDOWS\Temp\php93C.tmp                    [2] =>                     [3] =>                     [4] =>                 )            [error] => Array                (                    [0] => 0                    [1] => 0                    [2] => 4                    [3] => 4                    [4] => 4                )            [size] => Array                (                    [0] => 595377                    [1] => 60665                    [2] => 0                    [3] => 0                    [4] => 0                )        ))

There are 5 files possible to upload. Used 2 to demonstrate print r.

Thanks for your help. :)

I dont see why this wouldnt work:

<?php

$files = $_FILES['upload'];

foreach ($files['name'] as $k => $file)
{
  var_dump(move_uploaded_file($files['tmp_name'][$k], "user_images/{$username_entry}/{$file}"));
}

what does that do?

EDIT: Oh, well in that case just ignore this post. You are welcome. It actually wasnt just the curly brackets. You made a typo here:

move_uploaded_file($tmp_name, 'user_images/'.$username_entry.'/'. $name);

You missed the red one.

Edited by DaveyK

Yes, you can use mysqli() or PDO_mysql() to prepare a statement PRIOR to the for loop, and then you bind the param inside the loop and execute the query :)

dont use mysql_*, always use mysqli() or PDO_mysql for php libraries if that is an option.

HERE is an example for pdo:

$pdo = new PDO ();

$sql = "INSERT INTO ................";

$stmt = $pdo->prepare($sql);

for ()
{
  $stmt->bindParam(':file_name', $name);

$stmt->execute();
}

this WONT work but will give you a general idea about what it might look like

Edited by DaveyK

Sure. I am fairly new to PDO as well, so it might be wrong what I say here, but here it goes. PDO is a php library for connecting to a mysql database. That means it is OOP.

You create a PDO connection by doing this code:

$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=HOST;dbname=DB_NAME;charset=utf8', USER_NAME, PASSWORD, array(
    PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE => PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION,
    PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND => "SET NAMES utf8"
  ));
$pdo->exec("set names utf8");

Just replace the CAPS by whatever is relevant to your site. HOST is like an IP address and DB_NAME is the database name and so forth.

I am using an UTF-8 (Unicode) charset so I went overboard making sure verything is utf-8. You can remove that part if you want to.

Say you have some query, like:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE users.id = $id

In PDO, you can do

$pdo->prepare('SELECT * FROM users WHERE users.id = :id');
$pdo->bindParam(':id', $id);
$pdo->execute();

$result = $pdo->fetch(); // this gives a single array

Does that make sense?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.