only in network?

mikeymizrahi

i suspect that my server is only working in my home network, possibly because of faulty router port forwarding setup
i tried accessing through a proxy and it seemed to work, but when i am in school, i can't access the site

can use help in two areas:
1. if you can't reach the site- is there a problem in my httpd.conf file? my router SEEMS to be set up correctly, and i havent made any changes to my server setup? any troubleshooting ideas?
2. if you can reach the site- why can't i reach it in school? i can reach my router's remote management, but not the server port...any possible answers?

address is: [url=http://mizrahi.mine.nu:8080/]http://mizrahi.mine.nu:8080/[/url]

thanks.

Works fine from hear!  Schools are normaly very restrictive on trafic in/out for odvoius resions, primarily through port blocking.  Why are you usingg :8080 / :80 would probably work.  If its becouse your router uses this port its self, try another comon one your not using.  For example if your running a windows only network your inlikly to use :22 (ssh and pcanyware normaly).  Haveing to manditarly add a port just meens more for prople to remember when trying to get there!

[quote author=the_oliver link=topic=115709.msg471659#msg471659 date=1164150779]
Works fine from hear!  Schools are normaly very restrictive on trafic in/out for odvoius resions, primarily through port blocking.  Why are you usingg :8080 / :80 would probably work.  If its becouse your router uses this port its self, try another comon one your not using.  For example if your running a windows only network your inlikly to use :22 (ssh and pcanyware normaly).  Haveing to manditarly add a port just meens more for prople to remember when trying to get there!
[/quote]

A lot of ISP's block port 80.

Using any port besides port 80 (or enabling SSL and using port 443) would require that you enter :port after the domain/IP, so using a common port works, but when you're giving it to someone that is not familiar with ports (the majority of online users) it doesn't really matter what port you give them.

Port 23 to most people is just like port 4044, it's all the same to the typical end user (whereas we know port 23 to be commonly used for telnet)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.