Using exec() from cron job

jimmyborofan

I have a cron job that grabs a list of folders that need processing

These folders are scanned for a particular type of file and then those are processed.

I am trying to get this to run as a parallel process by using exec.

The complication arises when the it is called, it just doesnt seem to call the function.

I use the codeigniter framework with the cli.php found on this very site (thank you whoever wrote that!)

The loop works like this:

public function loopBatchDir()
    {
    [...]
    begin Loop
    foreach ($batches as $batch)
    {
    exec("php /var/path/to/webroot/cli.php Controller backgroundProcess".$batch['filename'] . " > /dev/null &")

}
    end Loop
    }

public function backgroundProcess()
    {
    /*this is the test section */
    echo "I have been called";
    /*end test section*/
        $batchFile = $this->uri->segment(4);
        $this->batch->insertBatchData()

}

SO when I call backgroundProcess() from the command line the I get the echo and the process executes (when providing a correct parameter

When the loopBatchDir() is called by command line the entire process works fine, but the exec command is completley ignored.

Other Info:  This is on a fresh dedicated server that we have exclusive use of, I have had to make changes to several php settings and I am also wondering if exec is function that has to be turned on in php.ini?

Any help, appreciated.

Jim

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.