how to test outside my LAN - anonymizer ?

fran1942

Hello, what is the best way to test if my Apache server installation/firewall, NAT etc. is working outside of my LAN ?
I thought of using a web based free anonymizer eg. "anonymouse.org".
However I used "Anonymouse" within my LAN and it worked fine, but when I tried to access my web server from outside the LAN it did not connect.

I thought anonymizers would be an ideal way to test, becuase they are effectively an outside (WAN) connection into your LAN ? - perhaps not ?

thanks for any advice.

Can you clarify this a little better?  Do you want to know if your site is accessable to anyone?  Do you want the conostinatly monitored or just a one off test?

Is your NAT using a static or dynamic IP address?  If its static simply get a friend to tap it into the web browser, or point a DNS record at it.  If its dynamic there are one or two free services that will enable you to have a fixed domain name, where the DNS record is regualy updated ortomaticaly.  I think no-ip.com is one.

If you want a constant check look for 'service monotering' in google.  Can recomend blue-emu.net . that can send you and email/sms if it becomes unavalible.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.