blog read more feature

chinclub

I am writing a simple blog script.  I have been looking for a tutorial that goes beyond the very basics.  The one thing I can't find a code for is how to deal with the line break that tells the script to stop there and add the (Read more) link.

In my basic php knowledge I know I could just have two seperate fields in the post column, one for the intro part and one for the remainder of the article.  I was wondering if this was the right way or if there was something easier.

Any help would be great.

You can use explode()

In your txt you can use BBCode Ex:

$txt = 'balbalbalbal
[***]
blablablablala 111';

$txt = explode('[***]', $txt);

echo "First part: $txt[0]<br>";

echo "Rest of it: $txt[1]";

You can also cut after a certain number of characters or after a certain number of words or phrases.

after 10 charcaters:

$string = substr($string,0,10).'...';

After x number of words
http://www.lullabot.com/blog/article/trim-string-given-word-count

After x number of phrases
http://gelembjuk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61:split-text-for-sentences-with-php&catid=37:php&Itemid=56

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.