noob help please - include core php here?

ZandarGlass
Go to solution Solved by Ch0cu3r,

Hi all. I'm teaching myself PHP and of course I have a stumbling block. I wrote a simple upload file, and it worked fine (so permissions don't seem to be my issue), then I added some other code to it to create a PHP class (using PHP SOLUTIONS by DAVID POWERS). But the code fails now. I'm pretty sure it can't find a path to necessary php core functions. The error message I get is:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../classes/Ps2/Upload.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in D:\Hosting\myaccount\html\mydirectory\Upload_file.php on line 7

And indeed, when I use a phpinfo code to glean information, it tells me the include path I must is:

.;C:\php5\pear

It all makes perfect sense. However, I can't seem to write an include statement that addresses the issue. I want to put it in the same document (my upload_file.php), but if that isn't necessary I want to put it anywhere else that would work.

Any help? Either this is very simple or I have an issue of some kind at the server?

I can post the entire code if you like. Whatever helps.

After some thought I figured I'd answer the inevitable question, heres the code behind the file I'm using. I can include the file in the Ps2 directory (Upload.php) if this also helps. I changed some details in the path so my account and the folder aren't appearing.

<?php
// set the maximum upload size in bytes
$max = 51200;
if (isset($_POST['upload'])) {
  // define the path to the upload folder
  $destination = '/Hosting/myacount/html/mydir/tst/';
  require_once('../classes/Ps2/Upload.php');
  try {
    $upload = new Ps2_Upload($destination);
    $upload->move();
    $result = $upload->getMessages();
  } catch (Exception $e) {
    echo $e->getMessage();
  }
}
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset=utf-8">
<title>Upload File</title>
</head>

<body>
<?php
if (isset($result)) {
  echo '<ul>';
  foreach ($result as $message) {
    echo "<li>$message</li>";
  }
  echo '</ul>';
}
?>
<form action="" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" id="uploadImage">
  <p>
    <label for="image">Upload image:</label>
    <input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="<?php echo $max; ?>">
    <input type="file" name="image" id="image">
  </p>
  <p>
    <input type="submit" name="upload" id="upload" value="Upload">
  </p>
</form>
</body>
</html>

Thanks for the response. So if I understand correctly, I have to have upload.php in the same folder as the file that is calling it (which is called upload_file.php)? Isn't there a way to right some kind of include path statement in upload_file.php that tells it that upload.php is in one folder, and the "core php" file is in C:/php5/pear? Or do you mean those all have to be in the same folder? I'm not sure if I have access to place both upload_file.php and upload.php in the c:/php5/pear folder (or any of my files). 

Sorry to sound dense.

If I'm understanding correctly, then something like this:

<?php
$max = 51200;

require_once('.;C:\php5\pear');

try {
    $upload->move();
  } catch (Exception $e) {
    echo $e->getMessage();
  }
}
?>

I'm not sure  I understand the syntax. Sorry for the difficulty, I really do appreciate the help!

I've also been reading about include_path, and wonder if this is what you are referring to, as in this example I found at php.net

<?php
$path 
'/usr/lib/pear';
set_include_path(get_include_path() . PATH_SEPARATOR $path);
?>

where '/usr/lib/pear' would be changed to the location of the folder on my server. In that case, maybe something like:

<?php

$path '/php5/pear'';
set_include_path(get_include_path() . PATH_SEPARATOR $path);

$max = 51200;
  try {
    $upload->move();
  } catch (Exception $e) {
    echo $e->getMessage();
  }
}
?>

I'm not sure if I have access to php.ini on my host server (windows host).

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

• Solution

Is the code from the book you're reading? 

https://github.com/lisawilliams/phpsols

If it is then ignore the include_path setting. You do not need to be modifying it. The problem is a file path issue.

Is the classes/Ps2/ folder in the D:\Hosting\myaccount\html\mydirectoryIf it is then you need to require the Upload.php class using this (remove the ../ from the file path)

require_once('classes/Ps2/Upload.php');

The ../ in file path means go up one directory,  If you're requiring the Upload.php file using ../classes/Ps2/Upload.php as the file path then PHP will try to find Upload.php from D:\Hosting\myaccount\html\classes\Ps2 folder. I am guessing that classes/Ps2 is actually in the D:\Hosting\myaccount\html\mydirectory folder?

If you have set of include files all in one folder then it is easier to add that folder to the included_files path, so it would become

.;C:\php5\pear;D:\Hosting\myaccount\html\classes\Ps2

if that is where the files are.

Then you only need

include('filename');

without worrying about the path

Ch0cu3r DUDE you nailed it. I kept wondering why other code was working and this one failed - all I could think of was some core function was missing. I kept looking at it and didn't notice the ".." until you called it out!!! Thanks a ton. (yes that is the book)

BARAN Thanks to you too! Every time I look for answers for one question I learn more - so none of that went to waste! It all sent me looking and learning other methods.

I really appreciate getting such expert advice from both of you guys!

I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions as the examples get more complex - but you dam sure bet I'll be looking for an errant path a little closer. So far I've been able to troubleshoot my own errors but THIS one - I just could NOT get over the hump.

Thanks again guys!!!! You have been so much help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.