Here are my relevant php.ini settings:

session.name = hello

session.cookie_lifetime = 30

session.cookie_path = /

session.cookie_domain = .name.com

And my script:

session_start();
setcookie('hello', '', time(), '/', '.name.com');

The php.ini value works as expected with the cookie being created and then timing out after 30 seconds - confirmed in Firebug under 'Cookies'.

Then I add the session_set_cookie_params statement with 75 second expiry:

session_set_cookie_params(75, '/', '.name.com');

session_start();

When I look at the Cookies tab in Firebug, no cookie shows up. Now I reckoned that the session_set_cookie_params 75 seconds would overwrite the php.ini session.cookie_lifetime value of 30 seconds, and the setcookie create a cookie timed to expire 75 seconds later, yet they seem not to. 

Why is this?

the session.cookie_* settings only affect the PHP session cookie that is created with the session_start() function. Those settings have no effect on cookies set using setcookie()

This

sets a cookie called hello and is immediately expired. To make it expire 75 seconds later you need to set the expire time param to time()+75

session_set_cookie_params do override the default settings defined in the php.ini. You should be able to verify this using session_get_cookie_params before and after changing the cookie params.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.