create a free PHP "almost" discussion mailing list

shengchieh

Pardon me if I am in the wrong place - moderator, move me if desired.

I hardly know PHP so let me share an idea for you PHP developers ...

There is no free PHP discussion mailing list - just free Perl mailing lists.  And many - I didn't
check all - requires you to "own" the server.  I am guessing that it would be hard for PHP scripts
to read incoming emails to the discussion mailing list.  A workaround is to have people post/reply
on a web browser - allowing PHP scripts to work and send emails out.  Messages would come from
groupname@groupdomain.com, but browser is use to post reply/new topic.

A typical message looks like

... topic ...

... message ...

Do not reply or email groupname@groupdomain.com .
If you wish to reply, click {reply URL}.
If you wish to start a new topic, click {new topic URL}.
If you wish to see your profile, click {profile URL}.

In other words, the PHP script looks like a discussion mailing list except the user clicks an
URL link (instead of "reply" or "new") if that person wants to reply or start a new topic.

It is probably too late for me - we are on FluxBB, a lightweight forum with email subscriptions.
But I would still like to know if someone tries to do this.

For computer illiterates, a discussion mailing list is much easier than a forum.  Teaching them
just to click a link (to write something) is much easier than navigating thru a forum.

Sheng-Chieh

In that case someone could make a free PHP discussion mailing list.  There are currently none right now.  I checked everywhere including hotscripts.com, thefreecountry.com, freemailguide.com, sourcecodeonline.com

and DuckDuckGo.  It's an open opportunity to fill a need.  Right now, there are only free Perl scripts that requires you to "own" the server.

Sheng-Chieh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.