Complete script building tutorials

CrimpJiggler

For people who already know the basic programming concepts that they cover in ordinary tutorials (i.e. the tutorials you find if you look up PHP tutorial, or AJAX tutorial), I think what would be helpful are tutorials which cover the building of a complete website or script from start to finish because like that you get to see how experts do things so you can learn from their techniques, rather than reinventing the wheel by learning through trial and error. How do you go about finding tutorials like this? Can anyone recommend some good ones?

Edited by CrimpJiggler

Even if you would be able to see how an expert builds a website. You would probably learn nothing, and/or consider yourself really dumb because you don't understand half of what he wrote. The same way you wouldn't learn chinese if you see someone write it.

What you need is the mindset of an expert and that is to understand how he solves problems. A project usually has 2 categories.

1) The part you know how to do or can easily google to find out how to do them;

2) The part you have no clue whatsoever how to do;

Number 2 is the interesting part. And before anything else you should take into account their importance to the project. So if you have no clue how to do something but the importance of it is optional then you won't invest any time in it at all. And the problem is solved.

If however it's critical to the project then it's your primary focus, and solving this before anything else is paramount to the success of the project. Avoiding the complex parts of an application until the end usually means project failure.

Furthermore the expert identifies the different components of the project on a high-level, which is the same as categorizing cohesive (=related) portions of the project. For a blog you could identify:

Authorization (Access Control)

Authentication

Blog Post Authoring & Publishing

Among others, from this high-level view of your project, you would drill down further categorizing. The advantage here is that it's easier to focus, as the scope is smaller, and after the project has been going for a while you will have a neat whiteboard as a top-down view with all these components and the links between them making it easier to see the big picture and add/factor-in new functionality.

And I think that after you reading this I have proved my first point.

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.