Remove bold tags on highlight

skippt

Hi,

I'm working on trying to make a string in a textarea bold by inserting bold tags.

The script I have can be found below:
http://jsfiddle.net/28Bc5/1/

The script will insert bold tags but I'm trying to work out a way in which I can remove the bold tags when highlighting.

It would have to check whether bold tags are wrapped around the string and then remove them. I'd imagine it would work something like this:

McHIRar.png
If only part of the bold string is highlighted, insert a </b> tag at the beginning and insert of </b> tag at the end of the string.

QeE4UvJ.png
If left side of the bold string is highlighted, remove <b> tag from beginning and move it to the end of the highlighted string.
If right side of the bold string is highlighted, remove </b> tag from end and move it to the beginning of highlighted string.

Can anyone teach me how I would do this please?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.