Processing data with PDO

rdkurth

This script is running thru without any errors but it is not producing any data but the database is full of data.

What am I doing wrong. I am trying to understatnd PDO with MYSQLI

<?php

include("connect.php");

$pid = $_SESSION['profile']['id'];

$sql ="SELECT * FROM signings WHERE pid = \"$pid\" AND done= 0";
  $result = $db->query($sql);

$out = array();
    // Parse the result set
    foreach($result as $row) {

$out[] = array(

'id' => $row->id,
        'title' => $row->lname,
        //'url' => Helper::url($row->id),
        'start' => strtotime($row->signstart),
        'end' => strtotime($row->signend) 
    );

}

echo json_encode(array('success' => 1, 'result' => $out));
exit;

you need to tell us what it is producing as output as that will narrow down the possibilities, even a blank screen is an important clue.

your code has no apparent error checking logic in it. the easiest method is to enable exceptions after you make the database connection, then use a try/catch block to handle runtime errors.

also, do you have php's error_reporting set to E_ALL and display_errors set to ON so that php would be reporting and display any errors it detects?

I no about using try/catch block and yes I have the E_ALL and display_errors set to ON but this is just a test script to see how to fill in the area.

What is happing is it is not passing any info from the database, It looks like the problem is in my select statment but I can not figure out way.

This is what I am getting  no data at all but there is four records it just not giving me the data.

{"success":1,"result":[{"id":null,"title":null,"start":false,"end":false},{"id":null,"title":null,"start":false,"end":false},{"id":null,"title":null,"start":false,"end":false},{"id":null,"title":null,"start":false,"end":false}]}

all the null/false values are because the data isn't being fetched as an object (there would be php errors like Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in ..., so you don't have php's error reporting set). have you configured pdo to fetch the data as an object? you either need to do that or use array notation to reference the $row values.

oops I forgot I took Notice off error handling the other day. I'm bad!!   this is the error

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object

I am new with PDO so I don't understand alot about it but what I have seen I like.

What do you mean by "have you configured pdo to fetch the data as an object"

and what are array notation

What do you mean by "have you configured pdo to fetch the data as an object"

i recommend that you read/scan through the pdo section of the php.net documentation so that you are aware of the different things it can do.

and what are array notation

again, this is the basics and array variables would be/are covered within the first few chapters of the php.net documentation, a basic php book, tutorial, or class.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.