Cant connect to MySQL database

Greenie

Hello all,

I'm very new to both PHP and MySQL and I'm following the [url=http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_intro.asp]w3schools.com's tutorials[/url]. I've set up an Apache server correctly (as far as I can tell) and I'm trying to use the following script to connect to my MySQL database:

[code]
<html>
<body>
<?php
$con = mysql_connect();

if($con) { echo "connection successful"; } else { echo "connection attempt failed"; }
?>

</body>
</html>
[/code]

And when I open the php file the failed attempt string appears.

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to set up MySQL. I have the following settings:
Server Type: Developer Machine
Database usage: Non-Transactional Database Only
Concurrent Connections to server: Decision Support (DSS)/OLAP
Enabled TCP/IP Networking (Port Number 3306)
Enabled Strict Mode
Installed As a Windows Service
Root password as blank

I've enabled Port 3306 on my firewall program. Still it doesn't work.

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong here? I'd be happy to provide any information you may need to answer my question.

I managed to get this script to work and to connect to my MySQL database. Boy, did it take some effort!

I had to re-install MySQL, making sure I assigned a password this time. I then had declare some additional parameters to the mysql_connect() command, using the syntax:

[code]
mysql_connect(servername,username,password);[/code]

It took me ages to figure out that the default username is "root".

No further assistance required.