Cloak and Track a Link when using a variable url

vistavision

Hi everybody,

I want to cloak my affiliate links or mask it so it looks like a pretty url. Also if possible, I want to track the clicked link with Google Analytics so I think I need a page where I can log the click.

I found lots of information but not for the situation I have. I get my links from my database like this:

echo '<a href="'.$info['url'].'">the link</a>';

How can I accomplish this? So I need a url like www.mydomain.com/click and when a user click on the link the get a new page with a tracking code and a redirect script to the right url.

Thanks so much for the help!

Kind regards,

Mark

Let's assume your links are stored in a table with an ID, the URL and a Text description. You can create your links like this:

echo "<a href='affiliate.php?id={$row['id']}'>{$row['text']}</a>';

Then create a page for affiliate.php. On that page you would take the ID passed on the query string and run a query to get the URL. Then you can do whatever logging of the click that you want to perform. Lastly, you would use a header() function to redirect the user to the URL.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.