create multilingue website

pascal_22

Hello to all!

Since 2009 my website is online. It's a french dating site. Now i want to make it available in english too.

I wonderring what is the best practice?

should i Create a new domain name and separate english and french OR create my actual website multilingue.

What do you suggest?

Also... for an multilingu website, when a french member register, he will describe himself in french, but if an english member view my site in english and visites a profile of a french member... all will be in english but not the description of the french member...... is it bad or not?

Thanks for your precious help!

Pascal

You could do this a number of ways, but I would use a subdomain, like en.yoursite.com. If you create all of your links dynamically, you can change the domain according to the current domain. Actual text content would be stored in language files, and pulled in according to the current domain.

I would not try to automatically translate your user's descriptions. Your likely to never have an accurate translation.

thanks for your response sKunkbad,

I will not try automatic translate... all do it all myself or with other people in this language

You suggest subdomain and i think that was nice!

What do you thing betwween this:

fr.mysite.com

en.mysite.com

of

mysite.fr      -> fr version

mysite.com -> en version

thanks a lot!

Pascal

Hello!!

I think subdomain was perfect for me!

One more question!

How google interpret those url:

mysite.com/register   ->english version

fr.mysite.com/register

de.mysite.com/register

Does Google interpret it as 3 different url or a unique url?

For sure, depending of subdomain, the page register will be in a good translaton!!

Thanks a lot!

Pascal

Part of the way that Google will determine the language of the page is the lang attribute on the html tag. Obviously the words on the page matter, too. Take a look at some of the popular PHP frameworks to see how they have done localization (i18n). It's really pretty easy to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.