If string exists in current url echo $_GET

NoamChomsky
Go to solution Solved by Jacques1,

Hi all - I'm trying to echo $_GET something from the URL, and display a short message to the user if the echo $_GET fails - but I'm new to PHP and the code I've whipped up doesn't work. It always displays the message even if the information is present in the url and the $_GET should work. Here's the code I've got:

<h3>
<?php
$qset = strpos($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], 'qtitle');

if ($qset === false) {
    echo "You haven't added any questions yet.";
} else {
    echo $_GET['qtitle'];
}
?>
 </h3>

The URL will contain "qtitle=(something)" if they've filled out a form on the prior page.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a feeling I've overcomplicated things...

Thanks again!

• Solution

The $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] variable contains the filename of the script, nothing else. The parameters after the question mark are not included.

I'm not really sure why you're using this strpos thing, anyway. You obviously know the $_GET array, so why not use that?

if (isset($_GET['qtitle']))
{
    echo $_GET['qtitle'];
}
else
{
}

The $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] variable contains the filename of the script, nothing else. The parameters after the question mark are not included.

I'm not really sure why you're using this strpos thing, anyway. You obviously know the $_GET array, so why not use that?

if (isset($_GET['qtitle']))
{
    echo $_GET['qtitle'];
}
else
{
}

Thanks - that worked. I can't lie about this - I don't know PHP at all well at this stage. I'm a front-end guy prototyping an interface that will then be made to work by a backend guy. Which is why my code was so ridiculous. I didn't know you could check if what you're trying to GET is set in that way, in researching an answer I read up on something that was more complicated than it needed to be. Cheers for the help, much appreciated!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.