translation

Destramic

Hey guys I'm after a English to Arabic translation script...although I have Googled it but as you can imagine there's no script of that.

Would I have to create a array of English words and then give them the value in Arabic? :/...just wondering if I have any other options...thank you

It is complicated. Very complicated. Try translate.google.com.

You can't just replace words. Word order changes. Words can mean different things in different contexts. "I read the book last week" and "I read books every day" both have read in them but the tense is different. Root the seedling, root for your team, and the root cause would need 3 different translations of root. Idioms are also a challenge. "You are the apple of my eye." I'm trying to teach Japanese via the web now and grammar is the hardest part. You can look at my beta site http://japaneselearningsite.com. Not a lot there yet, but it is coming.

@davidvannis looking good...although the problem with Google translate I.find it's pretty crap...due to some of the times words don't translate correctly...at lot of reading for me I guess...although I could findu someone who knows english and arabic :)

the problem with Google translate I.find it's pretty crap...due to some of the times words don't translate correctly.

Yes, but that is state of the art, what a group of really good engineers achieved with a ton of computers, huge databases of language samples, and constant feedback from users offering better translation. It is not likely that as an individual you'll do as well.

My favourite example of this is:

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana

I couldn't remember the quote when I first posted here, but this is my favorite complex English sentence with one word used multiple times:

The faith she had had had had no effect on her chances of entering heaven.

Apparently you can have 11 hads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_while_John_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_a_better_effect_on_the_teacher

Edited by davidannis

Computers will never be able to translate language with any degree of correctness until we have systems that can truly "learn". Computers deal with Black and White - something is either true or false. They cannot figure out "gray" areas. Plus English to Arabic is very difficult since they are so disparate. Something like English to French would be significantly easier as they are both based on Latin.

If you think you can build a better translator than Google and you don't have a Masters/Phd in Computer Science, Linguistics and both those languages with years of to devote to the project (or millions of dollars to hire the necessary talent), I think you are fooling yourself.

well I'm not here to fool myself but I know a person who is speaks both languages so I'm thinking on the lines of him translating possibly

Just being able to speak a language fluently is not enough to build a translation utility. A person who speaks the language could easily translate a specific text from one to the other. But, trying to define all the rules to have a computer do it is a completely different thing. That person would have to have a deep understanding of the semantics and intricacies of the language at the lowest levels.

A good example is driving a car. I'm sure you are very proficient at driving a car. But, could you build a program so a car can drive itself? That is something that has been worked on for several years now by very qualified people. It wouldn't just be having the car follow GPS. It needs to determine where other cars are, follow the speed limit, dynamically adjust based upon traffic and other cars. Be able to navigate through detours when there is construction. Etc. Etc.

As complicated as that is, building a translation tool is harder. There is much more complexity - but less chance of anyone being fatally injured.

Putting it like that it sounds like a near impossible task...specially with languages ever growing...but that you for your example...any solutions and where one would go from here?...just use Google translate?

Google, Microsoft, and a number of other companies offer translation APIs if you want to integrate to your own application. Just google "translation API" and you'll get a list. If you just want something as an end user, just use Google translate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.