[RESOLVED] Using Xampp on localhost, connect to db with no password

flash gordon

Hi There,

I have [url=http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html]xampp[/url] install for windows. By default, there is no password set for the databases. The user name is "root".

What is the correct mysql_connect() command to get it to connect to the db?

I have tried
[code=php:0]
$database = "foo";
$table    = "calendar";
$username = "root";
$password = "";

mysql_connect("localhost", $username, $password) or die ("Could not connect to database");
[/code]
but it wont connect.

Thanks.
:)

That code is completly fine flash gordon.

What error(s) do you get? POst them here in full if you get any. ALso add the mysql_error() function to the die clause. So this line:
[code=php:0]mysql_connect("localhost", $username, $password) or die ("Could not connect to database");[/code]

is like this:
[code=php:0]mysql_connect("localhost", $username, $password) or die ("Could not connect to database<br /><br />" . mysql_error());[/code]

This should now retrieve an error message from MySQL if there is an error occurring anywhere.

Thanks guys! :)

Yea...suddenly it is working today.

I put it down for a week and came back. My error message was "Could not connect to database". My only guess is that I didn't have the mySQL running. I really have no idea, but it is all fine now.

Thanks again guys! I wish I could repay the php favor, but I'm not that great. If you ever need any ActionScript help, come on over to http://actionscript.org/forums and look me up.

Cheers.
:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.