--<a href="setilvalg.php">Se Tilvalg</a>--<br>
--<a href="serestaurant.php">Se Restauranter</a>--<br>
--<a href="semenu.php">Se Menuer</a>--
</div>

</body>

<a href="?logout=1">Logout</a>
</html>

that is how i implemented it. made the file an php file

can somone tell me why it doesnt work. and maybe how to make it work, and why that works :P

many thanks

Did you read the code you're using? Do you realize that anybody can create any cookie they want? The entire “password protection” is nothing but a giant brainfart, so no wonder it “doesn't work” (whatever that means).

Learn PHP and write your own code. It's no rocket science. In this case, you'd simply use standard PHP sessions to store the log-in status.

Thanks for the kind words Jacqass1, and what obvious vulnerabilities can you find with my password protection script? I know very well how to use sessions, but I choose to use a cookie instead. I wanted it to be simple for new coders, and I didn't want the login to expire.when I closed the browser.

As far as the login.php not working loxfear, do you have login.php in the same directory as your page? You might try using the full directory path with include_once.

Thanks for the kind words Jacqass1, and what obvious vulnerabilities can you find with my password protection script?

Do you not realize that anybody can create the log-in cookie herself and skip your “protection” entirely? You might as well check the URL for “is_admin=true”.

I know very well how to use sessions, but I choose to use a cookie instead. I wanted it to be simple for new coders, and I didn't want the login to expire.when I closed the browser.

Sessions do not expire when you close the browser. The session ID is in fact stored in a cookie, and you can set the lifetime to anything you want.

The point is: Unlike your home-made cookie stuff, PHP sessions actually work. We've all used them for many years. Wouldn't it make sense to rely on a proven solution rather than trying to do it all by yourself?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.