I need to delete a piece of data when a new piece of data is entered

greenace92

Hello,

I'm working on a project that requires me to have stock / fake demo files that will be replaced with real files provided by users... I need something to take space and then when people actually start using the site and inputting data, then I can replace each file with new, unique files.

I have some idea of how this would work.

I would need incremented or non-matching identifiers and then a script that probably works on an if statement 

If new data, take first list of data, delete, replace with new data. Something like that. 

I'd do it a bit differently, and not store fake data in the db.

Lets say you have a "documents" page, and you are displaying 20 items on it. So you query the database to get the "documents" and let's say only 5 exist. In your view, I'd just check the quantity of results that you got back from the db and subtract it from 20, which would be 15. So display the 5 existing "documents" and then generate 15 "placeholders" just using HTML/CSS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.