DNS help

newguy45

Hello guys,

im  trying to get my site do main www.newguy45.com on the net on my server and so far all i can manage is getting my ip 71.76.239.163 on then net only accessible form port 80

i have newguy45.com hosted from ns1.newguy45.com and ns2.newguy45.com and there both set to point to 71.76.239.163 and my site still does not seem to be up. what am i doing wrong? is there anyway for me to tell if my site is still updating and will work eventually? or did i mess up?

thanks;

newguy45~

p.s:

[img]http://i12.tinypic.com/2mgp5ox.jpg[/img]

hi,

Im not too sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to route newguy45.com to your ip address 71.76.239.163???

I presume you are hosting the web site from your computer and also using a router,
You may want to open port 80 on your router and forward it to your internal ip address, Do this through http://192.168.1.1

Hope this helps
Mathy

p.s:
set your protocol TCP/IP back to automatic

perhaps th previos DNS thing i said in the last post did not make sence?  If theres no DNS server set up on the ip address for ns1.newguy45.com it simply wont work as a domain!  DNS is there so you dont have to remember the number.  I think you may find it very helpfull to do a little basic resurch on how DNS works (its kind of fundemental!)  The people who regestered your domin can almost sertinatly help.

As [i]mathymus[/i] mentions if you have a router you need to set up a port forwording rule to your internal ip address, which must remain fixed. if not then you need to give your computer the external ip address, althogh this is a security risk.  The most important this is that ns1.newguy45.com is a proper DNS server or you will get no-were.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.