How does sleep function works

vinpkl

Hi

If i run the below script then both the dates are displayed after delay of 15 seconds.

But i think 1st date should get displayed instantly and 2nd should get display after 15 seconds.

But its not happening ??

<?php
echo date('H:i:s');
sleep(15);
echo "<br>";
echo date('H:i:s');
?>

Vineet

But i think 1st date should get displayed instantly and 2nd should get display after 15 seconds.

No. It will halt the script for 15 seconds, then the two dates will be shown. This is because by default PHP buffers the output which is then output all at once to the browser.

However if you ran this script form the command line then yes, it will echo the first date and then 15 seconds later output the second date.

If you want the contents to be streamed in the browser then you need to flush the buffer. Have a read of the following article for more info.

http://www.sitepoint.com/php-streaming-output-buffering-explained/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.