php header/redirect help

WarMacheen

I've been rearranging and changing things for a few hours and I can't get past this issue

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /****/****/****/****/php/mailer.php:1) in /****/****/****/****/php/mailer.php on line 27

If I comment out the thanks.html header there isn't an error, but the code also doesn't redirect to the correct html page. I've also verified that there isn't any white space issues at the beginning and end of the code block

<?php
$myemail = "abcd@abcd.org";

$first_name = check_input($_POST['first_name'], "Enter your first name");
$last_name = check_input($_POST['last_name'], "Enter your last name");
$subject = "email from Dulles ISAC contact form";
$email = check_input($_POST['email']);
$comments = check_input($_POST['comments'], "Write your message");

if (!preg_match("/([\w\-]+\@[\w\-]+\.[\w\-]+)/", $email))
{
show_error("E-mail address not valid");
}

$message = "
First Name: $first_name
Lirst Name: $last_name
E-mail: $email
Comments: $comments
";

mail($myemail, $subject, $message);

header('Location:thanks.html');
exit();

function check_input($data, $problem='')
{
$data = trim($data);
$data = stripslashes($data);
$data = htmlspecialchars($data);
if ($problem && strlen($data) == 0)
{
show_error($problem);
}
return $data;
}

function show_error($myError)
{
?>
<html>
<body>

<p>Please correct the following error:</p>
<strong><?php echo $myError; ?></strong>
<p>Hit the back button and try again</p>

</body>
</html>
<?php
exit();
}
?>

since the output, that's causing the problem, is occurring on line 1 of the file and the only php code on that line is the php tag, you either have something in the file before the php tag or your file has been saved with utf-8 encoding and the BOM (Byte Order Mark) characters by your editor.

insure that there's no characters before the first php tag and insure that your editor is saving the file without the BOM characters.

since the output, that's causing the problem, is occurring on line 1 of the file and the only php code on that line is the php tag, you either have something in the file before the php tag or your file has been saved with utf-8 encoding and the BOM (Byte Order Mark) characters by your editor.

insure that there's no characters before the first php tag and insure that your editor is saving the file without the BOM characters.

The encoding was the problem, thank you. I changed to UTF-8 without signature, works

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.