Website problems

newguy45

I got my site up and now it shows all my old files other than what i have in the htdocs directery.

my site is pointed to my computer's ip and when i go for a dns report it fails to get the NS records. please help me

my site is newguy45.com

and my ip is

ps:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=www.newguy45.com

Looking at the link hat you pasted i thing that maybe you are a little confused about DNS, and it is not a apache problem? (apologies if im wrong and your some kind of god on it, but the domain name suggest other wise!!!! just ignore the rest if so.)
I wont go into the detail of DNS as it is a monster topic, but hears a very simplified pointer.

ok, so firstly this bit

[code]ns1.newguy45.com. [71.76.239.163] [TTL=172800] [US]
ns2.newguy45.com. [71.76.239.163] [TTL=172800] [US][/code]

The ns1 and ns3 should be different servers, for redundancy, and thus have different ip address.  The ns, (name server is the bit that does the work about your domain). The propos of it is that it takes the address that’s being looked at (eg www.newguy45.com) and tells the user/Brower/computer what the IP address of the server where the information is stored is.  In this case it would be through what is called an A-record.

For example the computer side of it would look a bit like this: (some one sesnt this to me and I quite like it!)

Some one types in www.newguy45.com into a web browser
Web Browser: Does any one know where to look for the domain information for the domain newguy45.com?
Top level DNS server:  Sure the information is listed on this ns1.newguy45.com DNS  server.  Its address is 10.5.2.123.
Web Browser:  Hello 10.5.2.123.  Could you tell me the ip address for prefix www.  on the domain newguy45.com.
ns1.newguy45.com: Sure www. Refers to the ip address 71.76.239.163.

Then the web browser would look at the ip address and get the information from it.  A basic understanding of DNS is very useful, research it on goggle.

Essentially the problem is that you are not running DNS servers.  Most people don’t unless thry are hosting hundreds of domains.  So ns1 and ns2.newguy45.com should pointing to someone else’s DNS server who will store the information for your domain.  I would imagine the people who registered the domain for you can do this. They will then create an A-record saying that the www.newguy45.com information is hosted on 71.76.239.163 computer. 

I would strongly advise you not to host you own DNS servers with out a substantial amount of time and know how.  It would also require you that have a fail safe power and web connection for them.  All in all a lot of work!  What you need to do is change the ns1 and ns2 address to point to somewhere else!

Hope this helps and I didn’t miss the point. Sorry it’s a little long winded!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.