Cron Job security, CHMOD

bambinou1980

Hello,

I would like to setup a cron job in my cpanel. This cron job is situated in:

public_html/protected/commands/cron.php

I do not want people to call this url from the web as it could hit the server ressources if started too often.

Is there a way to set this cronjob in a way that it is only executable from the server itself and not from the web. Please tell me if I am wrong but what I did is set up the command as:

/usr/bin/php -q /home/account_name/public_html/protected/commands/cron.php

And set the cronjob.php file to 644.

Is this right?

Thank you.

Ben

If you do not want visitors to your site accessing cron.php then do not store in your public_html folder (aka your document root). Store it outside of the document root. 

I see people adding -q or -php front of the path, what does this changes please, any idea?

It doesn't change anything it is telling the server which program to execute, and passing command line option -q to PHP and stating the path the php file to be executed

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.