how to get or post the value from link to HTML form?

sigmahokies
Go to solution Solved by Ch0cu3r,

Hi everyone, 

I am still learning PHP, I am trying to "update" the data in the database, I succeed create page to add (insert) the data in the database, but I can't figure how to update  that the data come from link from previous page. Is that correct for script link to transfer to HTML form in other page in below of here?

echo "<tr><td>".$row['FirstName']."</td><td>".$row['LastName']."</td><td>".$row['Email']."</td><td><a href='update.php?edit=$row[iD]'>EDIT</a></td></tr>";

the message shows me "update.php?edit=1" at left-bottom of website. But I clicked link to other page, seem the value has not passing to other page that i want to update in HTML form. Can you help?

Thank you in advance time.

Gary

I'm not sure I understand...using $_GET? it will be visual to computer, I rather to use $_POST than $_GET. I know how to write $_POST and $_POST in other page. In other page that I write:

<tr><td>Identify Number:</td><td><?php echo $edit['ID']; ?></td></tr>

But the value from the previous has not appear in HTML form in this current page from the previous page.

• Solution

You use $_GET to grab the values from the url - which is called the querystring (the stuff that is after the ?). You cant use $_POST with a link.

As BuildMyWeb said $_GET['edit'] will contain the id value from your link. Your next step is to query the database where $_GET['edit'] matches a row with the same id. From the result of the query you then populate your form fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.