Deleting ID's associated with a parent ID

CloudBreaker

Simply put, I have projects, (each with their unique ID).  Each of these projects have multiple files uploaded to them (each of these file have there own IDs along with their own table - submittal_files.  Typically, if I'm going delete a record from a table I'll do something like this inside a table data tag...

<a href="submittal-view.php?delete=<?php echo $id;?>"onclick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to delete this file?');">Delete</a>

Then something like this...

if(isset(GET_['delete'])){

$delete_id = GET_['delete'];

mysqli_query($conn, "DELETE FROM whatevertable WHERE file_id = '$delete_id'");

}

The problem is the file I want deleted does not have the same id as the project id and I need to also pass the project ID as well.

I've tried this with no luck...

<a href="submittal-view.php?id=<?php echo $id;?>delete=<?php echo primary_id;?> "onclick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to delete this file?');">Delete</a>

("primary_id" is the id to that particular file).

The code I have below does not have any errors, because it's not attempting to delete a file row in the table yet.

Line 92 is the line I'm having trouble with.

I'm still a beginner, so go easy on me.

CB

<?php
include_once 'dbconfig.php';
?>

<?php
session_start(); 

if(!$_SESSION['user_loginName']){
	header("location: index.php");
	}
	else {

$project_id=$_SESSION['project_id'];	

if(isset($_GET['id']) && is_numeric($_GET['id'])){

$edit_id = $_GET['id'];

//grab discipline
	$name = $_SESSION['firstName'];

$sel = "SELECT * FROM hsa_users WHERE user_firstName='$name'";
	$run = mysqli_query($conn, $sel);

$row=mysqli_fetch_array($run);{
		$discipline	= $row['user_discipline'];
	//End of grab discipline	
	}
	//grab submittal No.
	$s = "SELECT * FROM submittals WHERE id='$edit_id'"; //note...it doesn't have to be $sql everytime.
	$run = mysqli_query($conn, $s);

$row=mysqli_fetch_array($run);{
		$sub_number = $row['sub_number'];
		}
	//end of grab submittal No.

$result = mysqli_query($conn,"SELECT * FROM submittal_files WHERE no=$edit_id");

while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC)){
		$primary_id	=$row['primary_id'];
		$id			=$row['no'];

}	
	}

?>

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Upload Files</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="rfi-style.css" type="text/css" />
</head>
<body>
<div id="header">
<label>Submittal No. <?php echo $sub_number;?> File Uploads (<?php echo $_SESSION['projName'];?>) </label>
</div>
<div id="body">
	<table width="80%" border="1">
    <tr>
    <th colspan="6">your uploads...<label><a href="submittal-files.php?id=<?php echo $edit_id;?>">upload new files...</a></label></th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>File Name</td>
    <td>File Type</td>
    <td>File Size(KB)</td>
    <td>View</td>
	<td>Uploaded By</td>
	<td>Action</td/>
    </tr>
    <?php
	$i=1;
	$sql="SELECT * FROM submittal_files WHERE no=$edit_id";
	$result_set=mysqli_query($conn,$sql);
	while($row=mysqli_fetch_array($result_set))
	{
		?>
        <tr>
        <td><?php echo $row['file'] ?></td>
        <td><?php echo $row['type'] ?></td>
        <td><?php echo $row['size'] ?></td>
        <td><a href="submittal_files/<?php echo $row['file'] ?>" target="_blank">view file</a></td>
		<td><?php echo $row['uploaded_by']?></td>
		<td>
			<a href="submittal-view.php?id=<?php echo $id;?>"onclick="return confirm('Are you sure you want to delete this file?');">Delete</a>
		</td>

</tr>
     <?php 
	}
	?>

</table>

</div>
</body>
</html>

<?php } ?>     
Edited by CloudBreaker

What exactly is the problem here? Why do you need the project ID in addition to the file ID?

Besides that, your code has fundamental problems, so I recommend you start with the basics before you jump to more advanced stuff:

• Learn how to safely pass values to queries using prepared statements. Right now, anybody can inject malicious SQL commands through the URL parameters.
  • Make sure you understand the purpose of GET and POST requests. A GET request is only for retrieving data (hence the name), it must not change data. Right now, anybody could make you delete arbitrary files simply by using an image with a URL like https://yoursite.com/submittal-view.php?delete=123. As your browser makes a request to the URL to retrieve the image data, your server deletes the image. To prevent this, you need to use a POST request together with an anti-CSRF token.
  • Do not insert raw values into the HTML markup as this allows anybody to inject malicious JavaScript code. You need to HTML-escape the strings first.
Edited by Jacques1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.