I'm so confused

echoofavalon

All right I am a brand new-bie with this. I am trying to install Coppermine Photo Gallery and I needed Apache Webserver, a MySQL Database, ImageMagick, and apparently knowledge of PHP. I got Apache and all of the others and I copied my IP address into the httpd configuration for Apache. Still, however, it is telling me that something else is on Port 80 and I have no idea what it is. I tried to see if it was my firewall, but I'm not sure if it turned off of not. None of this really makes any sense and I have a feeling that I am making it harder than it should be.

Firstly, I just want to get apache to start, that's my biggest problem at the moment, then I need to upload the Coopermine folder to Apache, which I have no idea how to do. The ftp client tells me to enter the username and password of my server (or host) which they said my host should give me. But I think they're talking about Earthlink or AOL, not Apache. Does Apache even have a server address? Not only that, but where do I get the username and password? Apparently people install coppermine all the time, I see it everywhere, and I am feeling incredibly stupid at this moment in time. I think that I should take this one step at a time, though. Any help with getting Apache to start would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Natalie

Firstly can you tell us what opperating system your doing this on?  Cant realy tell you too much with out knowing this!

As to a few of the other questions.

The host name for apache is the same as the host name for the computer.  For example www.testing.com but by the sounds of it you should enter your IP address hear.  Commonly the username and password will be the username and password you use to log into the computer noramly.  However it is possible that you may not have 'permision' to edit that folder.  That is dependant on the operating system, and ftp client you are using.  Alternitivly, if your using windows you can simply drop the files into the directory your web server reeds from.  This will be stated in your config.  When it says 'your host should give you'  this meens basicaly meens the persion who is runnig the server, in this case you!

Setting up these things for the first time is often somewhat daunting!  But it becomes logical after a while!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.