Update database with form

newToPhp01

I'm trying to make a editable form for a webpage in PHP. I have a database with 3 columns. The rows in this database gets printed to the webpage in a table, and I have made a button that says "Edit" next to each row. When the user clicks the edit button I want a form to show, and in that form the content from the database should show so that the user can edit this row, then click "save" and the database will update.

I am trying to learn OOP, but I'm not good at it and i'm not sure what to do next. I have managed to get the ID of the row that has been clicked like this:

/*If editbutton is clicked */
if(isset($_GET['edit'])) {
    $edit_id = $_GET['edit'];
}

So I have that in a variable.

But how can I get that specific row into a form so that user can edit it?

Sorry if I ask stupid querstions. But how do I write that query in my class? Where do I put my $edit_id?

This is what I have, but I know that this is not working:

public function editHotelRoom($id) {

$sql = "SELECT * FROM hotelroom WHERE id=" . $id;

$result = $this->db->query($sql);

return mysqli_fetch_all($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC);

$db->close();
}

It really helps us to help you if you tell us what "not working" means. We cannot see you screen.

As you will only retrieve a single row the is no point in using fetch_all(), just use fetch_assoc().

Don't close the connection after every query. It will close automatically when the script ends. Also $db will be undefined in that function (turn error reporting on). This could be why it's "not working".

Your right. I thought there was something obviousy wrong with how the function was written.

The database is defined earlier in my class and is working. I have a few other functions as well.

I guess my main problem is that i'm not sure about the syntax or how to use variables. I have that if-statement in my main.php file and the variable $edit_id has the ID of the row. And in my main.class.php file I have a database-connection and a class with functions. But I don't know how to make the function find my row. Do I need to instantiate the function first? Like this:

$editRooms = new hotelUsers();
$theRooms = $editRooms->editHotelRoom();

Then like this:

/*If editbutton is clicked*/
if(isset($_GET['edit'])) {
    $edit_id = $_GET['edit'];

$editRooms->editHotelRoom($edit_id);
}

And this in my class:

public function editHotelRoom($id) {

$sql = "SELECT * FROM hotelroom WHERE id=" . $id;

$result = $this->db->query($sql);

return mysqli_fetch_all($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC);

$db->close();
}

When I try this I get these warnings:

Warning: Missing argument 1 for hotelUsers::editHotelRoom(), called in...

Warning: mysqli_fetch_all() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in...

Notice: Undefined variable: id in...

Archived