[SOLVED] Retrieving PK from a Row Freshly Inserted

daniel244rock

Hello!

So I haven't had to post on PHPFreaks for Months and Months!! I must be improving, but obviously have a boatload yet to learn.  I have a script that copies a row from a database table into the same table, with all fields except the PK and a few others that are specific to the user entering the data.  The problem with this, is that the two rows (the one I copied from and the one newly created) are identical with the exception of the PK which is an auto-incrementing value. 

I need to be able to update a few columns with the user-specific data but don't know how to select the newly created row.  It seems that there should be a way you can find the PK when you do an INSERT statement.

For instance:

Tablename : table
PK : ID (Auto-increment)

----------------------------
|ID | name                       |
| 0 | Tommy                     |
| 1 | Timmy                      |
| 2 | James                      |

Then when you run "INSERT INTO table (name) VALUES (Jimmy)" have a way of getting the PK of 3.

If I'm confusing, then thats normal.  I'll try to answer any questions you guys have about my descriptions.
If its too much of  a dumb question, I'm not afraid to read some articles if you've got the links.
Thanks tons in advance. 

Daniel

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.