File extensions and overwriting existing files

Accurax

Try something really simple like this, and it will help you to understand the values assigned to each element of the array when it's uploaded.

[code]<?php
echo <<<HTML
  <form name="upload" method="POST" action="{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}" enctype="multipart/form-data">
  <input type="file" name="image"><br>
  <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Upload"><br><br>
  </form>
HTML;

if (isset($_FILES)){
  echo "<pre>\n";
  print_r($_FILES);
  echo "</pre>\n";
}
?>[/code]

Huggie

OK, I've read the code and I've been a complete muppet.

Try this:

[code]<?php
session_start();
include("Vars.inc");
if ( $_SESSION['login'] != "true" )
{
header("location: hacker.php");
}

else
{
if ($_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/jpeg" && $_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/pjpeg" && $_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/gif") 
{
echo "Sorry you must upload only files of the type .jpg .jpeg or .gif, Click <a href='picturemanager.php'>Here</a> to try again";
}
else
{

$filetype = $_FILES['filename']['type'];
$username = $_SESSION['username'];
$filename = $_FILES['filename']['name'];
preg_match('/\.\w{3,4}$/', $filename, $matches);
$new_filename = $username."1".$matches[0];

$myFile = $new_filename;
unlink("pictures/".$myFile);

$filepath = "pictures/".$new_filename;
echo "<h1 align = 'center'>Your File has been uploaded. Click <a href='picturemanager.php'>Here</a>to Return</h1>";

$source = "pictures";
      move_uploaded_file($_FILES['filename']['tmp_name'],
              "../xxx/xxx/$source/".$new_filename); // this line is for local host
  /*"../xxx/$source/".$_FILES['filename']['name']);*/ //this line is for remote server

$connection=mysql_connect($host, $user, $passwd)
or die ("Could not connect !");
$db = mysql_select_db($database, $connection)
or die ("Could not connect to Database");

$username = $_SESSION['username'];
$query = "UPDATE members SET picture = '$filepath' WHERE user_name='$username'";
$result = mysql_query($query)
or die ("could not add picture.");
}
}

?>[/code]

The || (or) was producing a true result everytime.  We needed && (and) to produce a negative result and output the correct details.

My work here is done, incidently, you could cut your code down by removing duplicate values, like this:

[code]<?php
session_start();
include("Vars.inc");
if ( $_SESSION['login'] != "true" ){
  header("location: hacker.php");
}
else {
  if ($_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/jpeg" && $_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/pjpeg" && $_FILES['filename']['type'] != "image/gif"){
      echo "Sorry you must upload only files of the type .jpg .jpeg or .gif, Click <a href='picturemanager.php'>Here</a> to try again";
  }
  else{
      preg_match('/\.\w{3,4}$/', $_FILES['filename']['name'], $matches);
      $new_filename = $_SESSION['username']."1".$matches[0];

unlink("pictures/".$new_filename);

$filepath = "pictures/".$new_filename;
      echo "<h1 align = 'center'>Your File has been uploaded. Click <a href='picturemanager.php'>Here</a>to Return</h1>";

$source = "pictures";
      move_uploaded_file($_FILES['filename']['tmp_name'],
        "../xxx/xxx/$source/".$new_filename); // this line is for local host
        /*"../xxx/$source/".$_FILES['filename']['name']);*/ //this line is for remote server

$connection=mysql_connect($host, $user, $passwd) or die ("Could not connect !");
      $db = mysql_select_db($database, $connection) or die ("Could not connect to Database");
      $query = "UPDATE members SET picture = '$filepath' WHERE user_name='{$_SESSION['username']}'";
      $result = mysql_query($query) or die ("could not add picture.");
  }
}
?>[/code]

Regards
Huggie

No problem, I was looking at some similar code that I've got and then I realised the difference, you were saying.... if file isn't equal to something or file isn't equal to something else, when I looked at my code it was saying if file IS equal to something or file IS equal to something else.  So you were testing for negative and me for positive, hence the change from OR to AND.

Regards
Huggie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.