Access db to MySQL Database help please...

RSprinkel

Hi All,

Ok any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a MS Access db that I update weekly and would like to convert it to an MySQL db.  I am using a utility called MS Access to MySQL and when I try to connect to my MySQL db with the set permissions it runs for awhile (not doing anything) and then gives me this error:

"Error: -2147467259
Reason: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Lost connection to MySQL server during query
Hint: Please try to change the Connection Database when asked for the Connection Options. The one you specified was not found."

Now I know the db is there cause I did an actual dump of the access db and then imported in via MySQL.  I have tried numerous utilities including SQLyog and I get the same error about Lost connection or to MySQL during server query or I get timed out errors.

Again Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much in advance.

Yes I am using Windows XP SP2.  When I imported the dump, I went directly to the database  via phpmyadmin and clicked on Import.  Yes I have a ODBC Connection set up, but even with that I get this error.  Access Denied for User:username.  Would this be a hosting issue from where I am hosting my space or like you said previously "Well the default in the last couple installations (on Linux) was to only have mysql only running locally and not exposed to the network"?

Ok, I thought you were working w/ mysql running on a local server. I doubt you'll be able to establish an ODBC connection to your provider's server. A lot of providers (probably most) won't let you establish a connection to the mysql port from outside the network either. (phpMyAdmin works because the web server it is running on is on the same network as the mysql server)

If my assumptions are correct, you're in an impossible situation. You'd probably either need to keep working with sql dumps or set up a mysql server locally that is exposed to the Internet so you can replicate with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.