Making Apache work initially - "(98) Address already in use:...

cl8onb

I have abandon Monolith Slavery for the real world of Linux now back to being a nube.

Apache 2.2
Hardware: i386 directly connected to cable modem, with dynamic IP (stable/almost static for now)

Firewall clears port 80

Installs OK, and will stop and start (httpd -k stop...) but if i edit system-config-httpd.conf and enter "Listen" directive, it will not start.  Comment out the "Listen..." and it starts and stops OK.
The error i get is: "(99) Cannot assign requested address: make_sock: could not bind to address...

If i point a web browser to the IP address it cannot find the server, even using IP:Port it will not work.

If i type "httpd" at the command line I get:
"(98) Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80"
"no listening sockets available, shutting down"
"unable to open logs"

-t gives me Syntax OK

i can't find anything else open, or anything that would be bound to port 80, i also tried to set config to use port 8088, but same results.
but then i am a Linux/Apache newbe....

As i see it, somehow i need to release the ports for Apache to use?????....

Can you please post the contents of your error log?

Check what ports are available (not in use) on your computer.  Do this by downloading tcpview from systeminternals.  There is another way to do it without downloading anything, but I'm on windows so I wouldn't know how to do it on Fedora.

Part of the command line error message is "Cannot open logs"
Apache cant open error_log, but error_log.1 has:

[Sat Dec 23 15:35:25 2006] [notice] Apache/2.2.3 (Fedora) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sat Dec 23 15:35:25 2006] [error] Failed running '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/../../bin/mod-mono-server --filename /tmp/mod_mono_server__XXGLOBAL --nonstop --master (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null)'. Reason: No such file or directory
[Sat Dec 23 15:36:02 2006] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Systeminternals is windows only as far as i can see...

In Linux i tried using netstat -lnp and it gave me stats on IP and Ports.  port 80 is not being used.
screen shot attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.