Cant run memcache with php 4.4.4

I closed my previous post on this issue a bit too early...

Following an upgrade from PHP 4.3.9 to 4.4.4, Apache (2.0.52) now starts cleanly with php_memcache.dll extension installed. The problem now is, this code...

$memcache->connect('localhost') or die ("Could not connect");

... gives this error...

Can't connect to localhost:11211, Unknown error (0)

Most documentation I found refers to php_memcache.dll as an interface to memcached, so on linux machines it seems pretty obvious that memcached must be installed. For windows, however, the PHP manual says nothing about installing memcached-win32. Do I have to install memcached-win32 as well?

I'd be really grateful for help on this.

Thanks

Rolf

BTW. phpinfo shows this:

memcache
memcache support enabled
Active persistent connections  0 
Revision  $Revision: 1.70 $ 

Directive Local Value Master Value
memcache.allow_failover 1 1
memcache.chunk_size 8192 8192
memcache.default_port 11211 11211
memcache.max_failover_attempts 20 20

I finally found the answer.

For linux users the PHP documentation seems clear. But for win32 users, the documentation fails to mention that, in addition to downloading php_memcache.dll and configuring php.ini, you must also install and start the win32 memcache service. Full instructions and binaries are available at http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32. I just followed the steps as provided and it worked without any problems.

-Rolf

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.