Code for matchmaking script, where profile is only visible to those who fit your criteria

Newbie99

Hello everyone, nice to meet you, hope you’re all doing well 😊

I’m a newbie coder, just learning PHP, variables, etc. I did a course where we used Replit to help us code. I use a Windows computer, Win 10 I’m still getting my head around coding and understand the basics.

I want to create a matchmaking site using php with MySQl as the database.  People will register and become members. Normally, dating sites have filters so the member, can filter profiles they want to see, according to age, location, etc. 

What I want to do is the opposite, and this is not something, I have seen on any ready made software or CMS, which is why I’m writing my own. 

On my matchmaking site which will be for serious people only,  I want the Member to be able to control who sees his/her profile.  This means that profiles will be hidden from all except those who meet your criteria. The aim of this is to filter out unsuitable people contacting you.  

So for example, a Member who only wants his/her profile to be seen by someone who is in a certain location, certain age, certain hobbies, certain religion, etc should be able to set these.  I will have many such filters.  This means that the Member’s profile is only visible to these people. 

Can anyone show me, what I’d need to do in PhP? Would I need to use variables or what? 

Thank you in advance for any help. 

2 hours ago, Newbie99 said:

Normally, dating sites have filters so the member, can filter profiles they want to see, according to age, location, etc.

To do this you would use a SQL query to match A's preferences against B's profile and return all matching Bs

This means that profiles will be hidden from all except those who meet your criteria.

To do this you would use a SQL query to match A's profile against B's preferences to see if A can view B

Hello everyone, nice to meet you, hope you’re all doing well 😊

I’m a newbie coder, just learning PHP, variables, etc. I did a course where we used Replit to help us code. I use a Windows computer, Win 10 I’m still getting my head around coding and understand the basics.

I want to create a matchmaking site using php with MySQl as the database.  People will register and become members. Normally, dating sites have filters so the member, can filter profiles they want to see, according to age, location, etc. 

What I want to do is the opposite, and this is not something, I have seen on any ready made software or CMS, which is why I’m writing my own. 

On my matchmaking site which will be for serious people only,  I want the Member to be able to control who sees his/her profile.  This means that profiles will be hidden from all except those who meet your criteria. The aim of this is to filter out unsuitable people contacting you.  

So for example, a Member who only wants his/her profile to be seen by someone who is in a certain location, certain age, certain hobbies, certain religion, etc should be able to set these.  I will have many such filters.  This means that the Member’s profile is only visible to these people. 

Can anyone show me, what I’d need to do in PhP? Would I need to use variables or what? 

All anyone can do is give you some pointers to get you started, so I will try and do that.

• Base your work on an MVC framework.  With PHP there is a variety to choose from.  If you plan on making this into a commercial system, you probably want to choose between either Laravel or Symfony, but there are other older frameworks like CakePHP.  My advice is to stick with one of the big 2 I listed, as everything has a learning curve to it.
    • Without a well designed MVC to start with, you will create a lot of buggy unmaintainable code, make beginner mistakes, and ultimately create spaghetti code, wasting huge amounts of time on things that have nothing to do with your actual requirements
    • These frameworks also come with the expectation that you have at least a modicum of object oriented programming expertise.  Both Symfony and Laravel are "Dependency Injection" frameworks, in that the DI pattern is a fundamental building block.  You need to understand OOP, and understand the pattern of DI and use that.  Even if you were entirely writing your own framework with classes, you would be making a mistake if you did not implement your classes using best practices like interfaces, and the DI pattern.  The people that have created these frameworks were already experienced software developers and came with a strong understanding of object oriented design patterns, and have imbued these patterns into the various components.  You don't have to be an expert in these patterns just to use the framework, but for your own classes you will integrate into the framework as services, you need those.
  • Your filtration requires data, and the data in a relational database system requires a strong understanding of relational design and data normalization
    • If you hope to have any success you need to be able to codify in some way, your filtration requirements, and you need a sophisticated relational database design
      • You also have a geo-location aspect to your application

Realistically, your chances of putting this all together is very low, because you are expecting to master a myriad of different disciplines as a beginner, each of which often involves years of study, practice and actual experience.  

There are many systems that have this type of requirement, and more than one way to handle it, so you need to spend some time thinking about how each grouping of data can be structured and what that implies.

Your best chance of getting a working system, is to start with your database design using an entity relationship design tool, so that you can socialize your design process to people with experience designing databases.

Thank you Barand. I get that.

Gizmola, I will chew over what you said, thank you for the tips.  

I was wondering if there is a software or CMS that could handle this? A type of ready made software, which could handle it? 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 6:23 PM, Newbie99 said:

Thank you Barand. I get that.

Gizmola, I will chew over what you said, thank you for the tips.  

I was wondering if there is a software or CMS that could handle this? A type of ready made software, which could handle it? 

Thanks

There are plenty scripts out there that you can freely download and use for reference, such as do a google search for matchmaking script project?