Bug on my forums...

kaser

I hand coded my forums and believe me... They are far from done.

Although, There are a bunch of other features I could be working on right now, I would REALLY like to tackle this problem before moving on to them.

The problem lies within the read, and un read post.

Keeping track of what posts have been read by the user, and which ones havn't.

I had one method, that i stored the latest post date they viewed, but when i went to teh site the next day and there where 4 new post, and i clicked the most recent one, to come back to the forum index to see that the other 3 where now marked read... I realized my error and have been scratching my skull ever since.

There are several forums that use this feature, but why can't I think of how to pull it off?

Perhaps you guys could help me out?

I'd appreciate it.

There are several open source PHP Forums that are already available and implemenet the features you're sturggling with.  I'd suggest downloading one and observing their implementation.  Or even better, take am open source forum and extend it to meet your needs.  You will save yourself alot of time and probably learn alot along the way while not falling into the "reinvention of the wheel" trap.

Best,

Patrick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.