A Problem displaying PHP files

I have set up PHP 5.2 and Apache 2.0 on my comp, as localhost.  I set up my httpd.conf file in Apache to point to a folder for php files. I added this folder to my php.ini file.  Basically when I go to http://localhost my browser still displays the contents of my Apache2/htdocs file.  There is one php file in there, however it is trying to open as a Microsoft PictureIt! file.  When I load http://localhost it says that Apache 2.0 and PHP 5.2 are running properly.  i have been through two walkthroughs now on how to make this work neither have provided proper set up steps.  Any help would be greatly apprectiated!

and yea now mysql is giving me trouble.  i really am i newbie . .. .  i installed mysql and copied libmysql.dll from my php folder to system32.  then i removed the ";" from extension=php_mysql.dll, and extension=php_mbstring.dll in my php.ini file.  and now my apache wont restart . . . does anyone know what i have missed? thanks!

have you set-up the [size=4][tt]extension_dir[/tt][/size] directive in the php.ini

Also turn on the [size=4][tt]display_startup_errors[/tt][/size] too in the php.ini

Also it is better to add the PHP folder to the Windows PATH and keep all PHP files in one location - the PHP folder.

The extension_dir should be set the location of PHP's extensions folder. FOr example say you have PHP installed the root of your hard drive [nobbc](C:\)[/nobbc]: in a folder called PHP (C:\PHP) then the extension_dir should be set to "C:\PHP\ext"

WHen you've set the extension_dir save the php.ini and restart Apache.

Look in Apaches error log, should be in the logs folder with in the root of Apache's installation folder, eg C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apaches\logs

It may be Apache's configuration that may be the problem. Rather than loading PHP as CGI load it as an Apache module instead.

i am getting this error:

<OS 10048>Only one usage of each socket address <protocol/network address/port> is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
unable to open logs

apache displays this error and then shuts down

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.