Game Server monitor script

CaptFuzzy

Hey All,

I wasn't really sure where to ask this so if it's in the wrong place, I apologize.

I'm a total noob to PHP coding, so right now, there is absolutely no way I could do this without some help, actually, a WHOLE LOT of help.  ;D

I would like to try a project that should serve 2 purposes:

1. Allow me to learn some useful coding skills
2. Leave me with something useful as well, other than just a bunch of random code snippets.

I don't know if anyone here is extremely familiar with the FPS game Counter-Strike: Source or not, but I would like to make a server monitor for my server that I can place on a webpage. I know you can download a few free ones, and I would like mine to basically work the same as those, but I have noticed that most of them leave little or no room for customization unless you pay a fee.
I'm not asking any one to make this for me, I want to do it myself so I can learn, but I will also admit that I don't have a clue as to how to even start and that's why I could use some help.

I'm rambling, and chances are, I probably asked this in the wrong place, but I had to try.

Thanks in advance for any help...

I've done a couple of these. Here's one for Battlefield 2: http://repeat-offenders.org/modules.php?name=BF2ServerView&ip=74.52.98.54&port=29900

From my perspective there are 2 parts to doing this. 1) Getting the information fromt he server and 2) Presenting the data.

In the case above I found a class that was already written by another person to query a BF2 server to get the details. There was some problems with it and I worked with the original coder to correct them. I would bet there are already some classes to get the data from a CS server as well.

Then it is just a matter of deciding how to display the data nd what "features" you want to add. For instance you can click on a player name on the page above to see their stats. At one point I was updating the script to use AJAX to update the players scores on-the-fly, but have moved onto other things since.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.