just installed MySQL... can't connect phpMyAdmin!

phpaddict

guys i installed mysql on my celeron 1.5 GHz laptop running WIN XP.

i can operate it through the command line...but i can't connect phpmysql to it.

i went and ran phpmysql/scripts/setup.php

to try and setup phpmysql, but it gives an error while connecting.

i'm using PHP 5 (installer based) and MySQL 5.
does anybody have a walkthru on how to setup phpmysql on WIN XP using the setup.php script?

also, what are the benefits on trying to install PHP5 manually without the installer for windows?

Installing PHP manually and installing via the installer is completely the same, except the installer attempts to configure the http server you are using automatically for you. I think the installer for windows was an experimental project however it looks asthough it has improved and is stable. I prefer a manual install myself.

Also no need to run the setup script for PHPMyAdmin.

I prefer to edit the config file myself. You can get this file from phpMyAdmin/libraries you will want to copy config.default.php to the phpMyAdmin folder and then rename this file to config.inc.php. Once you've done that open in Notepad or your preferred PHP editor and change the PMA's configuration to your needs. The configuration file is fully documented so you should be able to adjust the configuration without any trouble.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.