force download help

mike760534211

i am using the download.php code snippet posted here.  when i use that to download a file that is in a sub directory of where the download.php file is it will not force download the file correctly.  it usually makes the downloaded file ~400kb when the file may be over 3mb

how can i correct the download.php to read the file correctly and force download the correct file size

You're probably getting a PHP parse error in your code someplace, but the force-download part is making it download the error instead of display it. Open the downloaded file in a text editor and you'll probably see the cause.

best blind guess to fix it:
[code]<?php
$file = realpath(".").$_REQUEST['file'];
?>
[/code]

<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: stat failed for / 'flie name here' in <b>%web_root%download.php</b> on line <b>14</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at %web_root%\download.php:14) in <b>%web_root%\download.php</b> on line <b>14</b><br />

script using
<?php

$file = realpath(".").$_REQUEST['file'];;

header("Pragma: public");
header("Expires: 0");
header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=1, pre-check=1");

header("Content-Type: application/force-download");
header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".basename($path."/".$file));

header( "Content-Description: File Transfer");
header('Accept-Ranges: bytes');
header('Content-Length: ' . filesize($path."/".$file));
@readfile($path."/".$file);

?>

first thing:
[quote]Warning:  filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize[/url]]: stat failed for / 'flie name here' in %web_root%download.php on line 14[/quote]
are you passing it an <a> tag ("<a href...>") or a filename? I'd be curious to see the <a> tag from the refering page.

Also, the basename($path."/".$file) might be giving you trouble (since you haven't set $path to anything). You should be able to return the script to normal by removing the '$path."/".' part.

when i download a file and open it with notepad the file contains:
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: stat failed for E:\web_svr\MP3\mp3mp3_Beyonce_09_Irreplaceable.mp3 in <b>E:\web_svr\MP3\mp3\download.php</b> on line <b>14</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at E:\web_svr\MP3\mp3\download.php:14) in <b>E:\web_svr\MP3\mp3\download.php</b> on line <b>14</b><br />

line 14 of download.php is:
header('Content-Length: ' . filesize($file));

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.