Accessing files outside of www folder

Crimpage

Hi All,

I use the e-dir script to show folder contents etc... I have modded the hell out of it for my own use, including having a variable starting directory.

In the script, you can set the start directory to be whatever you like, including something outside of the apache/iis wwwroot folder. However when the script generates the html link to the file it will look like it is a subdirectory of the wwwroot folder, and therefor the file does not exist. It's a little confusing.

Let say my wwwroot folder is at:
c:\wamp\www
and i have the script pointing my start directory to
d:\
the script will show everything from my D drive. all well and good. But, when I click on one of the files it links to:
http://server/file.jpg
which apache thinks is at c:\wamp\www\file.jpg

Is there anyway of making php or apache pull files from outsite of the wwwroot folder on the fly or does everything need to be within the wwwroot folder?

Cheers,
Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.