To Ajax or not to Ajax

aztec

I am creating a website that would have about 1000 pages of information. At the moment I have created a Relational Database in MySQL and am inputing the data. I have created a test page and tested out the database on my computer using Apache, PHP and MySQL installed via XAMPP.

Of the 1000 pages about 950 would be created from one template because only the data displayed would change.

Now I have found Ajax. So my questions are should I in the opinion of the programming experts:

learn Ajax from scratch (I do not have any knowledge of Javascipts or Ajax)
would the time lag be justified by increased functionality

Any constructive comments or sugestions please of the route to follow.
Kind Regards

I would always recommend that you learn javascript/ajax.. I would also recommend that you look into json.. Which may actually be better for this situation.. I personally like to add a touch of javascript to almost every app that I design. Also, keep in mind that javascript can be turned off on the client side.. I think that something like 10% to 15% of users do not have js enabled. So what I am saying is that you should not depend completely on js.

Thank you for your input "tomfmason". I have had a look at json as you suggested and it would appear that it would/may be easier for a newbie, but the problem would be the same i.e. clients turning off javascript.
I think what you said made a lot of sense in not relying too heavily on a technique that can be scuppered by the client.
I take that when you impliment a little javascript you accommodate for those clients that have it turned off.
I think on the basis of what you said I will try to find an alternative method that is basically client proof, if that is possible.

Kind Regards

About implementing Ajax or not depends on your application and your users.

Your user can be small set of users like users for admin side for a site.
If your application has lot of text/elements on page and you need a small data to submit and it is done many times for lot of things then it is a candidate for ajax implementation.

Any way if you are a developer or a person who must be updated for tech. then you should learn Ajax.

Bye!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.