MySQL user setup

knowram

I just installed MySQL and php and phpmyadmin on my old ibook thanks to help from nerdvittles.com. Now i am trying to set SMF's php form. After I submit all the info it asks for I get this error "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client" and I have no idea what it means. I am using Safari to run the installer if that maters.

Thanks in advance for the help

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

If you look at the output from "phpinfo()" you should see that php is using older (< 4.1) mysql client libraries.

The quickest solution would be to use the option of setting the password for your user using the OLD_PASSWORD function but the preferred solution should be to have php use newer mysql client libraries.  I'd guess that you should be able to find a pre-compiled solution for your mac.

That kind of made sense to me I am using php version 4.3.11 which is the newest that I can install on my mac and it is using Client API version 3.23.49.

If I understand what you are saying it would be best to update my mysql client libraries right? If that is true that is a part of mysql or php?

or could you give me more info on using the OLD_PASSWORD function?

thanks

[quote author=knowram link=topic=123941.msg513240#msg513240 date=1169740891]
That kind of made sense to me I am using php version 4.3.11 which is the newest that I can install on my mac and it is using Client API version 3.23.49.

If I understand what you are saying it would be best to update my mysql client libraries right? If that is true that is a part of mysql or php?

or could you give me more info on using the OLD_PASSWORD function?

thanks
[/quote]

Mysql client libraries come with MYSQL. However, what I'm saying is not that you need to change something on the MYSQL side but rather that you need PHP to use different client libraries. Although I assume that the process of compiling PHP on your mac would be very similar to doing it in linux, using the OLD_PASSWORD function would be simpler for the time being.

To change the password you'll still need to connect to MYSQL somehow. If you open a terminal and type "mysql -u root" you should be able to connect to the server as the root user and then all you should need to do is enter the command
[code]
SET PASSWORD FOR  username@hostname = OLD_PASSWORD('password here');
[/code]

"username" should be the name you're trying to connect to the database with and "hostname" (if you don't know what it should be) should most likely be "localhost". Assuming you already have the user setup on the server you can do a
[code]
SELECT User, Host FROM mysql.user
[/code]

to find the hostnames to use.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.