A few MYSQL questions

Anidazen

Hey guys.

I'm trying to battle with an incredibly persistant problem in one of my scripts - regarding SQL interaction.

Basically, I connect at the beginning of the script, do two queries, then the script runs... and this can take quite a while - under 10 seconds would be counted as very fortunate. Then after it's run I save the results. However, I'm getting errors occasionally on this last query ("server has gone away", "lost connection to server").

I've added a mysql_ping(); line just before this query, and when it fails it returns false to this.

Basically, I can direct solving this into 3 questions:

1) I thought mysql_ping() auto reconnected. Do I need to add a connect line for when it returns false? What about select database?
2) I'm using mysql_pconnect() at the start of the script - would I be better off using a different variation of the function, maybe closing it then reconnecting?
3) Any general advice I might not of thought of?

@wildteen88-
Correct me if I a wrong, but as far as I know a persistent connection cannot be closed.
From the manual:
[i]"the connection to the SQL server will not be closed when the execution of the script ends. Instead, the link will remain open for future use (mysql_close() will not close links established by mysql_pconnect())."[/i]
It seems like it's closed automatically somehow....

EDIT- after some reading, it appears that persistent connection just don't close.
@Anidazen- Try increasing the mysql.connect_timeout directive and see if the connection still times-out.

Orio.

[quote author=Orio link=topic=124276.msg514800#msg514800 date=1169916450]
@wildteen88-
Correct me if I a wrong, but as far as I know a persistent connection cannot be closed.
From the manual:
[i]"the connection to the SQL server will not be closed when the execution of the script ends. Instead, the link will remain open for future use (mysql_close() will not close links established by mysql_pconnect())."[/i]
It seems like it's closed automatically somehow....

EDIT- after some reading, it appears that persistent connection just don't close.
@Anidazen- Try increasing the mysql.connect_timeout directive and see if the connection still times-out.

Orio.
[/quote]
mmm... I swear you could use mysql_close to close a persistent connection before. I guess they have changed that now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.